As part of our fortnightly release, at approximately 08:03 BST on Wednesday 25th September 2019, we made a small update to the way we compile and personalize email campaigns. Shortly after the release customers reported that buttons built by our content editing tool ‘EasyEditor’ were removed from the email content. To prevent the content in emails being delivered incorrectly, we paused email sends across all regions at 08:57 BST.
At 09:19 BST, Transactional Email was restored in all regions.
At 09:51 BST, email sends were temporarily restored but were disabled again at 10:12 after we identified the problem still existed.
At 11:17 BST, the problematic code was rolled back and full service was restored.
At the start of the sending process, a number of changes are made to campaign HTML in order to enable tracking, add personalization, control email rendering in different email clients, etc.
In order to prevent email content being truncated and clipped in some email clients, we made a change to remove unnecessary comments and white space from the HTML source of email campaigns. This code did not correctly exclude ‘buttons’ from this removal process, meaning content containing buttons were unintentionally removed. This wasn’t picked up in our automated or manual testing phases of the release.
We identified the specific piece of code causing the issue and rolled back the change to a known stable version.
We’re going to: